Congratulations to our 2021 NATIONAL DANCE CHAMPS!!
We are looking forward to another successful competition season!
Audition Boot Camp:
General Commitment and Financial Responsibility:
Dance FX Competition Team is a competitive performance environment for any performer wanting a more advanced level of competitive dance. This is an audition based team that requires a COMMITMENT that runs a FULL YEAR full (from auditions on August 15, to a hopeful Nationals in July.(11-15)) Currently we have 4 levels of competitors:
- Tinys: ages 6-9, will compete in Hip Hop (they will train in other genres as well) and/or Production.
- Minis: ages 8-11, Minis can compete with independent teams by selection in Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, and/or Production.
- Juniors: ages 11-14, Juniors can compete with independent teams by selection in Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and/or Production.
- Seniors: ages 14-17, Seniors will compete with independent teams by selection in Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and/or Production.
- (*FX Production is a large group number with all age groups)
Requirements and Registration:
We ask all competition auditionees to actually NOT USE ICLASSPRO for registration if they believe they would be in more than 6 classes. If potentially registering for 6+ classes, the dancer becomes eligible for the EXTREME DANCER DISCOUNT. In order to take advantage of this discount registrants must use this Extreme Dancer Form to register once teams have been selected. Once the form is submitted, The Registrar will manually enter all of these Extreme Dancer Registration. All competition registrations for the Extreme Discount will be accepted from August 18-August 21. THERE ARE NEW EXTREME DANCER PARAMETERS. The discount is for students who are taking more than 6+ classes. IT CAN ONLY BE USED FOR RECREATIONAL CLASSES IF AVAILABILITY REMAINS IN THE CLASS AT THE TIME WE RECEIVE AND PROCESS THE FORM.
*Here is the FALL SCHEDULE MATRIX for your review. Please note there are some team class requirements: If you click on the team tabs of the matrix it should help you see requirements and suggested classes by team as they are listed below.
General FX Class Requirements:
The requirements for all FX members are as follows:
- Tiny FX members: must be enrolled in FX Tiny Team Class in addition to the FX Ballet class that aligns with the level. (Ballet 1 Tiny FX section) FX Production is another competition class option for ALL levels. Additionally, age level rec classes are highly encouraged for added choreography and performance experience as well as Tumble 1.
- Mini FX members: must be enrolled in FX Mini competition classes in addition to the FX Ballet class AND Ballet technique class that aligns with the level. Ballet 2 and Ballet Tech 2) FX Production is another competition class option for ALL levels. Additionally, age level rec classes are highly encouraged for added choreography and performance experience as well as Tumble 2.
- Jr and Senior Hip Hop ONLY: must be enrolled in FX Competition Hip Hop class, and the age level Hip Hop rec class (boys may be enrolled in Boys Break It Down as age level class). Additionally, Tumble and other rec classes are highly encouraged for additional training.
- JR Jazz, Lyrical, and SR Contemporary: must be enrolled in the designated FX team classes, as well as the level appropriate Ballet, Ballet Technique and Jr/Sr Technique. (Ballet 3 and Ballet 3 technique). Additionally, FX Tumble and age level rec classes are highly encouraged for additional training.
- SR Jazz, Lyrical, and Contemporary: must be enrolled in the designated FX team classes, as well as the level appropriate Ballet AND Ballet Technique. Ballet 4, Ballet 4 technique with Pre-Pointe. Additionally, FX Tumble and age level rec classes are highly encouraged for additional training.
Dancer contract to follow at the first week of practices.
The cost of the competition “FX classes” are all regular tuition prices. Competition classes are all eligible for the Extreme Dancer Discount
NEW PROCEDURES FOR 2021 (6+ class eligibility). See above form.
Average Competition Fees:
- Group Dances $65
- Solos $125
- Duos $85
- A student competing in one class would total $65 in competition registration fees.
- A student competing in 3 group dances would total $195/comp
- A student competing in 4 group dances and a solo would total $385/comp
We do approximately 3 to 4 competitions a year. A practice regional, a qualifying regional and a hopeful Nationals! There may be an additional optional regional for soloists only as well. All competition students will be invited to an OPTIONAL but encouraged EXCEL IN MOTION choreography clinic held in Lancaster PA. Dates TBA (this is a great Holiday gift as it usually falls on a weekend in early January)
ALL COMPETITION FEES ARE PARENT RESPONSIBILITY AND MUST BE PAID IN FULL PRIOR TO EACH COMPETITION. In effort to achieve full financial transparency here are other usual “out of pocket expenses”:
- Additional parent costs include a competition costume per class ($75-$100) depending on rhinestones, accessories, props and/or actual cost of the costume
- Sneakers for Hip Hop (approx $50-$75)
- At least 1 pair of fresh “competition half soles” in addition to class shoes for Jazz/Lyrical ($25)
- A personalized warm-up jacket ($75)
We do have a parent fundraising group and will be back to offering multiple optional fundraisers.
Tentative Commitment Dates: (Save the Dates!)
- Excel in Motion Convention (optional) – January 7-9 Lancaster, PA
- Winter Recital – Tent weekend of January 14-16
- Elevate Regional Competition – March 4-6 King of Prussia, PA
- Elevate Convention (optional) – October 24 King of Prussia, PA
- Team Benefit Showcase – TBD
- Dancing with The Reading Stars – April TBD
Backstage Regional Competition – April 8-10 King of Prussia, PA
- Summer Recital – June TBD
- Backstage Dance Nationals (Tent.) – July 11-15, Hershey PA
Assistant Instructors will be chosen from our junior and senior FX MEMBERS. We ask that if you would like to be an assistant instructor that you fill out this Assistant Instructor Form (application). You must have been enrolled at AOM for at least 1 full year.
Assistant Instructors are selected based on needs for each individual class. If selected to be an assistant, one recreational class costume will be paid for by AOM for each full hour of assisting per semester. Assistant instructors will be announced after the FX teams have been chosen based on availability /scheduling, application form and need.
*Audit: If your dancer was selected as an audit it means that scores were extremely close, and while it didn’t meet a full time placement, we would like them to have the opportunity to train at the competitive level for a full year in hopes of improving technique and skill. This is a training position not a performance position. There is no obligation to accept as it is an optional opportunity to just train with higher level choreography. There will be no costume or competition fees. Regular class tuition applies and is still eligible for Extreme dancer discount. (If invited by an instructor at any point throughout the season, costume and comp fees would apply if accepted)