Yocum Institute for Arts Education Preschool/Kindergarten
If and when the PA Departments of Health and Education guidelines change, this plan will be modified to comply. Elements for re-opening in person schooling:
- Plans for sanitizing prior to
- Plans for on-going sanitizing once school is in
- Plans for flushing the water system and ventilating the building prior to use if the building has been sitting
- Plans for training all staff on the Health and Safety
- Plans for communicating the guidelines to students and
- Guidelines for
- Guidelines for face coverings for staff, family members and students of different age
- Guidelines for eating and drinking during class
- Guidelines for social distancing in classrooms and common
- Guidelines for limiting outside visitors to the
- Guidelines for limiting interactions between
- Guidelines for restricting spaces for multiple groups use
- Plan for arrival and dismissal of
- Guidelines for all outdoor activities, including playground and use
- Guidelines for monitoring and isolating sick
- Plans for implementing remote learning to accomplish social distancing if necessary and if school are required to close.
Plans for sanitizing prior to opening.
Prior to opening of summer activities, the building was sanitized by our professional cleaning service. Prior to re-opening the Preschool Department, the building will be sanitized by our professional cleaning service.
Plans for ongoing sanitizing once school is in operation.
Our professional cleaning service cleans daily, which includes being sprayed using a professional cleaning mister. The cleaning mister uses an EPA registered disinfectant to kill some of the most dangerous, disease-causing pathogens, including COVID-19, MRSA, norovirus, Influenza (including H1N1), Hepatitis, E.coli, Streptococcus, Salmonella, and Tuberculosis. This product is food safe, non-toxic and can be applied to all surfaces- even food preparation areas.
Staff will frequently clean and disinfect high touch-point surfaces throughout the day, such as, tables, countertops, faucets, doorknobs, light switches and shared equipment. High touch areas of restrooms will be frequently sanitized. Restroom sinks and toilets are motion censored and touchless.
Plans for flushing the water system and ventilating the building prior to use if the building has been sitting idle.
Our state of the arts building is two years old. HVAC utilizes packaged rooftop units bringing in required ventilation outside air as per building code. System uses 30% High Efficiency Merv 8 filters.
Plans for training all staff on the Health and Safety Plan.
- Staff will attend training-
- Monitoring self and students for symptoms of Covid 19.
- Symptoms of Covid 19 per CDC- fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, fatigue, diarrhea or vomiting, runny nose, body/muscle
- Proper use and care of face masks, coverings, and shields for both staff and students.
- Sanitizing classroom equipment, surfaces of tables, chairs, countertops and sinks.
Plans for communicating the guidelines to students and families.
- The Pandemic Health and Safety Plan will be published on the Yocum Institute’s website.
- The Health and Safety Plan will be emailed to Parents and it will be posted on ClassDojo.*
- *ClassDojo is an educational technology company which connects primary school teachers, students and families through private communications features.
- Promote everyday protective measures and how to stop the spread of germs by posting signs in school entrance, classrooms and restrooms.
- Through ClassDojo and emails include in teacher/parent messages with families everyday protective measures and how to stop the spread of germs.
Guidelines for handwashing.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located at all exterior doors.
- Students and staff will be required to practice good hand hygiene, washing hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds before and after class, before eating snack or lunch, after using the restroom and periodically throughout class time, such as, completion of a table activity and before moving on to another area of the classroom/activity. All classrooms will have cleaning supplies and sanitizers.
- Prior to the start of school hand washing instructions will be presented to parents and students.
- The Early Child Infection Prevention Tool Kit from Henry the Hand Foundation, hand hygiene training program for both staff and students will be implemented to train both staff and students in good hand hygiene several time through the school year.
Guidelines for face coverings for staff, family members and students of different age groups.
- Staff and students are required to wear face coverings
- The wearing of universal face coverings order by the PA Department Of Health applies to Private Academic Preschools. The order remains in effect until further notice.
- “Face covering” means a covering of the nose and mouth that is secured to the head with ties, straps, or loops over the ears or is wrapped around the lower face. A face covering can be made of a variety of synthetic or natural fabrics, including cotton, silk, or linen, and for the proposes of the order, can include a plastic face shield that covers the nose and mouth.
- Circumstances that would allow students to remove their face coverings:
- Eating and drinking and maintaining 6 feet
- Seated in assigned areas for activities when maintaining 6 feet
- Engaged in any activity spaced at least 6 feet apart, for example outside
- The Department of Health recognizes that getting younger children to be comfortable wearing face coverings and keep them on may create some difficulties. Under these circumstances, staff may prioritize the wearing of face coverings to times when it is difficult for the child to maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet from
- Ensuring proper face covering size and fit along with providing frequent reminders and education on the importance and proper wearing of face coverings may help with wearing face coverings with younger children.
Guidelines for eating and drinking during class time.
Staff will be washing hands/wearing gloves to serve prepackaged snacks. Beverage is served in disposable cups.
Guidelines for social distancing in classrooms and common spaces.
- Classroom will be set up designed for activity areas to be 6 feet apart. Sneeze guard barriers used on tables when 6 feet distancing is not feasible.
- Sneeze guard barriers use for individual work between student and teacher.
- Movement in hallway and bathrooms will be timed to keep classes separate and time for disinfection.
Guidelines for limiting outside visitors to the school.
- Only professional staff members for teaching will be permitted to enter preschool upon completion of screening.
- Professional therapist scheduled to work with a student will have a designated area for the meeting. The session will not take place in the classroom.
Guidelines for limiting interactions between groups.
Students will remain in their assigned classroom throughout the duration of class time with the exception of restroom use, instruction time in the dance room, and the class going to the playground.
Plans for Arrival and Dismissal of Students.
All students will be dropped off. There will be two designated areas for drop off and pickup. Parents will individually be instructed as to their drop off and pick up area.
Guidelines for all outdoor activities, including playground and use of equipment.
Scheduled playground time for each class. Playground equipment will be regularly cleaned. Hands will be sanitized exiting the playground.
Guidelines for restricting spaces for multiple groups’ use.
Dance room use is limited to one group at a time. Sanitizing high touched areas after each group.
Guidelines for monitoring and isolating sick children.
- Check for signs and symptoms of students upon arrival. Daily temperature symptom screening. Implement a system for home/self-screening and reporting procedures.
- If a student is ill or exhibits symptoms of Covid 19, the student will be moved to the isolated designated area, parent will be called and will arrive for pick up ASAP. The student will not be readmitted to school without a doctor’s note.
- Waiting area will be disinfected with Professional Cleaning Mister by trained staff.
- In the event that a student or staff member test positive for Covid 19 or is suspected of having Covid 19, families and staff will be notified while maintaining confidentiality.
- Notify local health officials, staff and families of exposure or confirmed case while maintaining confidentiality.
- All guidelines from the PA Departments of Health and Education will be followed as to the procedures if a student or staff member test positive for Covid19.
Plans for implementing remote learning to accomplish social distancing if necessary and if school are required to close.
Classroom learning will continue with remote learning utilizing ClassDojo. Zoom will be used for activities and virtual class meetings with students and teachers.
Download a PDF of the Preschool/Kindergarten Pandemic Health and Safety Plan